Cooling down is an essential part of every training session. Unfortunately, it’s a component that many students and instructors tend to skimp on. Consider these benefits—and you’ll think twice before hurrying through a half-hearted cool-down:
- Cooling down reduces the risk of soreness and injury, as well as the dizziness and nausea that can result from a rapid drop in blood pressure.
- Your cool-down facilitates the removal of lactate from your muscles. The presence of lactate slows your body’s recovery, so removing it from our bodies is key.
- Decrease the heart rate. Do your best to return the heart rate to a level that’s almost as low as it was when the class started. Deep breathing is a great way to bring the body to a relaxed state.
- Stretch the body. Take the time to adequately stretch the muscles that work hard during a Spinning® class.
- Relieve the mind. Congratulate your students and yourself! Take the time to feel good about what you’ve accomplished and what your body is capable of doing. The cool-down is a great time to contemplate past achievements and set future goals.