Preventative Bike Maintenance
Performing regularly scheduled preventative maintenance is essential to keeping your Spinner® bikes in top operating condition. Without preventative maintenance, normal wear and tear may cause cumulative effects, such as misalignment or early replacement of parts.
The life of the bike will be determined by how consistent maintenance is performed.
- Wiping down the bike at the end of each class, or at least by the end of each day, will prevent rust and other forms of corrosion to build up.
- Never use abrasive or oil based cleaning liquids when wiping down the bike. Consider using SpinTech® Polish and other SpinTech® products for your maintenance purposes.
- Do not wipe down the chain with soap or a towel. Use a cleaning brush to remove any debris buildup, if needed.
- At the end of each class, students should be encouraged by instructors to release all the tension from the bike to allow perspiration to evaporate.
- If your facility allows members to interchange pedals, it is critical that the pedals are checked after each class to prevent damage and possible injury.
- Water bottle cages are easily damaged during class when over-sized bottles are forced to fit within them. Checking and tightening the screws will help prevent damage.
What to Wipe Down
Using an absorbent cloth, focus on all areas where perspiration can settle. Raise all posts to the highest setting to expose this moisture.
- Front leg assembly
- Back leg assembly
- Chain guard
- Brake knob and bolt assembly
- Pop pins
- Levelling feet
Inspect major moving parts that require constant proper torque and which, if ignored, can cause injury or result in damage to the bike.
- Crank arms: Use a foot pound torque wrench 30 to 35 pounds.
- Pedals: Use a pedal wrench. Verify that the pedal is not cross-threaded.
- Water bottle: Tighten assembly screws.
Need to order parts or need technical information? Need to get a copy of a Service or Owner’s Manual? Check out Star Trac®'s support site for free resources and product support or contact us.